WHY DO WE NEED MORE CYBER SECURITY
Globally cyber crime costs exceed $445 billion each year , with the US accounting for nearly one-quarter of that price tag . Over the past few years , we all have experienced the onslaught of headlines about major hacks and widespread new information security threats . It has been dark reading , indeed , for the hundreds of millions of consumers who have seen their credit card numbers , email addresses , and other personal information exposed by online intruders . Cyber security is no longer a matter of building bigger fire walls or security fences , it is about preparing for breaches , responding efficiently when they happen , and minimizing your losses in data and financial terms .
This means your most potent tools for reduction of harm and cost of data breaches are things like : Data hygiene , pre-breach groundwork , and rapid post-breach incident response . Incident response reduces the gap between detection and remediation of data breaches . It guides incident responders toward the key evidence of internal or external breaches . You must capture data from hundreds of formats and use advanced investigative techniques to analyze , visualize , and report on the evidence you uncover . Built-in intelligence from cyber security experts accelerates your path to remediation and also helps minimize the cost and damage your organization might incur.
CYBER ATTACKS FOCUS MAINLY ON :
1. Social – Targeting and attacking specific users or people with social engineering and advanced malware.
2. Sophisticated – Exploiting vulnerabilities , using backdoor controls , stealing and using valid credentials.
3. Stealthy – Executed in a series of low profile moves that are undetectable to standard security or buried among thousands of other event logs collected every day .
HOW TO PREPARE AND DEFEND AGAINST THESE ATTACKS :
1. Detect malware,communications and behavior invisible to standard defenses.
2. Analyze the risk and characteristics of the attack and attacker.
3. Adapt security automatically to provide increased protection.
4. Respond swift and aggressive , using the insight needed to counter your specific attackers.
5. Treat vulnerability reports with great caution , at least keep a team on guard to inspect these reports with care , dismissing them or ignoring them can cause great harm when a threat really turns into an attack.